Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Wacky Reference Wednesdays, No. 318

Gouache and Acryla Gouache on bristol board, 13 × 19″.

This was a rare case in terms of process. Originally intended as a pin-up in a larger anthology, I completed the first iteration in my "comics" style of ink with digital color. After turning it in, my editors asked if I could do a painted version. I said okay. (But only after renegotiating my fee :)

This meant I had to gather a little more reference than the first go-round — from billowing steam to plentiful teeth, I had to find the right photos to base my painting on. I also used the Handy Art Tool to get lighting effects on a head and skull. (Nice demo video here.)

At the bottom of the post, you'll see my original version. While passable, if definitely lacks the punch of the painted version. And, lucky for me, my editors decided to use it as the cover for the whole anthology.

Dental Plaaaaaan...

the original painting scan

Photoshop color study

pencils over digital sketch

blue-line print of pencils

inks by my Paw!

colored in Photoshop


  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! I really wanted to drive that home.

  2. The amount of research you had to do for this is something I totally never think about. Especially the teeth for the titan. Can't wait to see this in print!

    1. Yeah, that's one reason I post these... every piece involves tons of image searching.