The Valiant #1: Page Preview

Monday, August 25, 2014

THE VALIANT Page 19. 2014. Photoshop, 11 × 17″.

You may have already seen this page in the many previews that have been floating around, but I have yet to post it here. I started out this project a little behind, so I've been catching up by going all digital for most of the pages. Helping me immensely in that process has been Kyle T. Webster's Photoshop brushes, which have made the transition totally seamless. He gave me the whole set to try out and I haven't looked back. I "inked" and "toned" this page using mostly the "Rough Ink" brush. Once I catch up (hopefully, this week) I'll get back to traditional penciling and inking, but digital is hard to beat for speed.

6 comments :

  1. Thanks for the tip on the brush pack, I've been looking around for brushes but got overwhelmed by all the choices. This was easy, and so far, they seem great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Mike. They really saved my butt on this particular project.

      Delete
    2. I did my first book all digital (two small kids and no UNDO is a recipe for disaster). It turned out ok, but I still regret not being able to draw it with real ink. I've got two more books in the works, and have been trying to figure out a way to get a more hand drawn feel. I think these brushes are the answer...though I wouldn't mind having originals to sell someday down the road if the books do well.

      Delete
    3. I've been mixing it up with the traditional vs. digital. If it's a cool page that I think may someday sell, I'll go ahead and do it the old fashioned way.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful work as always and thanks for the tip on the brushes. The first panel has a Mignola vibe but it still says "you". Great work and I'm loving the colors on this as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was definitely looking at his work recently — I was trying to convince myself that things don't have to be complicated to be beautiful. Still trying.

      Delete

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.