Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Wacky Reference Wednesdays, No. 251

Ink(ed by Joe Rivera) on bristol board, 11 × 17″.

This cover managed to slip through the cracks of weekly posting. Superior Spider-Man Team-Up #9 comes out today (and you can see a preview here). I had a lot of fun with this one, not least of all because I got to draw Daredevil. Down below, you can see me doing my best DD impression... and Spidey and Punisher to boot.

My deadly paper baton...

inks by my Pops
blue-line print of pencils

pencils over digital sketch
digital sketch

digital layout


  1. Zlatibor StankovicWednesday, January 22, 2014

    This is really wacky, maestro! And great!

  2. What can i say, marvelous as always :)

  3. Great work! How are you taking the reference photos of yourself?

    1. Someone was just asking me this on Twitter as well — maybe I should devote a post to it! It's pretty simple: I just use Photo Booth on my iMac. If you click on the pic, you can see the setup via the mirror that's behind me. Nothing fancy. I used to use a tripod, but this is way faster.

  4. How do you go about printing your blue pencils? I'd like to take a stab ad doing some inking, but don't have the slightest clue what's involved with printing pencils. Also, I notice your dad will be joining you in Mexico City. Will he also be joining you in Sacramento?

    1. I have a Photoshop template that I just paste the pencils into. The main thing is to create a HSB adjustment layer with the following values: Hue-196, Saturation-100, Brightness-96 (or whatever looks right). No matter what, it will take some trial and error, so use some old files and experiment.

      As for Sacramento, it'll just be me.



Related Posts with Thumbnails