Wacky Reference Wednesdays, No. 209

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Avenging Spider-Man #16. 2012.
Ink(ed by Joe Rivera) on Marvel board, 11 × 17.25″.

This cover came out last week, but I'll bet you can still find it at your local comic shop. I'm working on the cover to issue 21 at the moment. Judging from the picture below, it looks like I was working on this cover just after waking up. Yeesh.

I was actually fairly tired while drawing this cover. So tired that I just gave up on Wolverine's foot — the old hide-his-feet-with-smoke trick. It was all going to be hidden by the Marvel Now! trade dress, so I let myself get away with it. As you can see in the pencils, I actually drew his foot... I just didn't care for the way it looked.




Inks by my Pops
Pencils (with increased contrast)


Digital Composite
Digital Layout

4 comments :

  1. another amazing cover. I was quite delighted to see Iceman with claws and sticking himself to the wall like spiderman. very clever. That is the sort of thing that is just plain precious.

    great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kyle! I've always liked Iceman's role as the jokester on the team, even from the first issue.

      Delete
  2. First-time commenter but I have to say I love your work. I was so, so sad to see you leave Daredevil. Regarding this cover, I'm not following how Beast and Wolverine are holding onto the wall the way they are. Am I missing something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Beast is easy to account for: he can stick to walls, just like Spidey. Wolvy's place is a bit more precarious. You can see from the claw that he's actually slipping. All that being said, that's why his right foot was bothering me. It was supposed to be on solid ground, but I gave up when I ran out of time (and accepted that it would be covered by the Marvell trade dress). The smoke was a matter of expediency so I could send it to my Dad for inks.

      Delete

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.