Iron and Spider Men

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Iron Man Variant Cover. 2012.
Ink(ed by Joe Rivera) on Marvel board, 11 × 17.25″.

Hope everyone is enjoying the long weekend. I'm taking a little break, myself. These 2 covers were just released in the latest Marvel solicitations, so I thought I'd share them here as well. The Iron Man variant is based on his second costume (I think) which introduced the world to the familiar red and gold color scheme. It also featured enlarged eyeholes to "provide a psychological advantage over his adversaries." I'm paraphrasing, but it happens to be one of my favorite panels in Marvel history.

Spidey is pictured below (Superior Spidey, if you haven't been following along) and faces a villainous threat from the land of dreams. Will he survive? Probably. But that's comics. I'm really enjoying this run on Avenging Spider-Man. The book seems to have a little more fun with the character, and I hope it shows.


Avenging Spider-Man #19 Cover. 2012.
Ink(ed by Joe Rivera) on Marvel board, 11 × 17.25″.

8 comments :

  1. Man, the Iron Man one is my favorite thing youve done in a while... just perfect. The gloveless hand is flawless... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I wasn't happy with the cover until I came up with that little flourish.

      Delete
  2. Awesome covers!Are colors by you or??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. Pretty much everything I post here is penciled and colored by me and inked by my Dad, unless otherwise noted. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. On that Iron Man cover you have those carts/tables turned and not aligned to a grid like most perspective seems to look. This is something I've been trying to figure out for a while; what are you supposed to do when you want to have something in perspective but rotated (angles in perspective) a bit so everything doesn't look so rigid and fake?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fudged it with this cover, meaning I just did it by eye. What you're supposed to do is shift the vanishing point along the horizon. So long as all parallel lines in an object recede to the same point, you should be good to go.

      Delete
    2. So if I were doing a 2 point perspective image and I wanted something rotated, all I have to do is slide the 2 vanishing points along the horizon at an equal distance?

      Delete
    3. Pretty much. I don't know that it has to be an equal distance, but that's the basic idea. I'm sure there's some rule out there, but the only thing that matters is if it looks right to you.

      Delete

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.