Two Faces

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Two-Face. 2012. Watercolor on paper, 9 × 12″.

Here are a couple of head shots done in preparation for Thought Bubble in Leeds. I was heavily influenced by Batman: The Animated Series growing up and am still in love with the designs from the show. I bought the art book when I was in high school, but lost it somewhere in the course of college. Sigh. The portrait of Two-Face above is just a Bruce Timm rip-off, but done with great respect (I saw him talking to William Stout at San Diego this summer, but I failed to introduce myself to either living legend).

Batman, himself, is much tougher for me. More than any other superhero, he shape-shifts from artist to artist, and there are just too many versions out there that I love. I haven't found "my" take on him yet, but maybe someday I'll figure it out. By the way, since people seem to like having the hour tally, Batman took 2 hours (what I usually shoot for with head shot commissions) and Two-Face took 3. Have a great weekend!


Batman. 2012. Watercolor on paper, 9 × 12″.

4 comments :

  1. OK I'm starting to become a regular here on your blog ;-)
    I didn't know that Two-Face was like 3 hours of work. very nice. I'm looking to frame it in the next few weeks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, painting always takes more time, but it's usually worth it. Glad you like it!

      Delete
  2. Both are good but Twoface rocks!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.