Wacky Reference Wednesday, No. 173

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Daredevil #12 Cover. 2012. Ink on Marvel board, 11 × 17.25″.

Today marks the debut of Chris Samnee on Daredevil—you're all in for a treat. You can see a 5-page preview here. I provided the "pulse-pounding" cover for the issue, going so far as to ink it myself (I can't let my Dad have all the fun).


Hot! Hot! Hot!

I had originally submitted this concept for issue 3 of the series, but there wasn't room for the scene. My editor, Steve Wacker, also rightfully pointed out that we hadn't yet established the radar sense by that point—covers are submitted a couple months in advance. 

The 2 bottom pics are from last year, while I was still living in Brooklyn. Since they were mirror images, the buttons are on the correct side for a woman's shirt. It's a minor detail, but a lot of new artists miss it.


1. Pencil sketch with digital color  2. Digital Composite  3. Original art

This was a relatively simple cover, so I just inked over the blue-line print of my digital sketch. Once I got into coloring, however, I ended up making the whole shirt flat black. It was a happy accident, but I liked the resultant tone.

5 comments :

  1. Happy accidents are definitely good things. Also, thanks for being conscious of the fact that men and women button their clothing on different sides. That's a minor thing, but something that I always notice, coming from a tailoring background.

    Oh, yeah. Have I said you draw great hands lately? ]| )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent as always, great gesture on the hand, awesome topographical...chest, and the solid black shirt works great

    ReplyDelete
  3. The accidental black shirt definitely works, almost giving the image a silhouette feel. I really like it:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good stuff. Comics need more covers like this. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, everybody! Hope you all enjoy the issue.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.