Here Comes Daredevil

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Daredevil #12 Cover. 20. Ink on Marvel board, 11 × 17.25″.

This was an exciting weekend for Daredevil news. First and foremost, I'd like to welcome Chris Samnee to the team, who will be alternating arcs with me on the series. I've been a "Samnee-vore" for some time, consuming his beautiful, black and white pin-ups via his blog and Comic Twart. He's a pitch-perfect match for the book, and his pencils for issue 12 are phenomenal. I'll be providing the cover, pictured above, which pretty much sums up the issue. It's simply a joy to read.

Samnee's grand entrance, however welcome, was old news to me (I just couldn't tell anybody for the longest time). What I didn't expect to get this weekend was a congratulatory email from David Mazzucchelli, informing me that the Daredevil, Vol. 1 hardcover collection made it on the New York Time Best Sellers list. Hot damn. Thanks to everyone for supporting the book and spreading the word.

Lastly, I just finished issue 10, which means I can finally leave the apartment. Time to get a haircut. Special thanks to my Paw, for rearranging his schedule to make sure the pages got in on time. And thanks to my girlfriend, who fed me and made sure I didn't lose all contact with the outside world.

13 comments :

  1. Awesome news man!; you two are gonna break the entire world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Samnee and Rivera: World-Breakers. Sounds good to me.

      Delete
  2. Hmm...who's undressing for Matt this time? The ladies get all uninhibited around them, don't they? (If they only KNEW!)

    Love your take on the radar sense. Great job, and congrats to Chris Samnee, whose work I've followed for a good while now. He's in good company.

    Congrats to the DD team for the #1 on the NYT best seller list, too. Awesome news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And yes, Matt seems to have that special charm.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the warm welcome, Paolo. So excited to be joined the team. And holy cow!! What a brilliant cover. I swear, if you keep outdoing yourself like this every month I'll never get a chance to catch up with your skills ;P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it, sir. Couldn't be happier to have you on board.

      Delete
    2. I couldn't be happier to have both of you on board! The best-looking book published by Marvel continues to be the best-looking book published by Marvel!

      Delete
    3. Oh, and I forgot to add that getting a congratulatory email from David Mazzucchelli is equally awesome.

      Delete
    4. Yeah, no kidding. That made my day.

      Delete
  4. No, you know who is a pitch-perfect match for the book though, Marcos Martin. Sorry I'm dropping this book as soon as Mr.Black Marker Fiend comes on board, I did it after the brilliant Sara Pichelli left Ultimate Spider-man and it seems I'll be forced to do it again. I may pick up your issues sporadically, if that's any consolation...well, that is until you also leave this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As sad as I was to see Marcos leave after just 3 issues, I couldn't be happier to have Chris on board. I've seen his first issue and it's brilliant. And while there's nothing I can do to make you like his artwork—everyone is entitled to their own tastes—I hope you can give it a chance.

      Delete

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.