Daredevil Trade

Friday, January 27, 2012

Daredevil #1 Cover. 2011. Gouache and acrylic on bristol board, 11 × 17″.

In case you haven't heard, the first Daredevil trade is out in stores (here's a glowing recommendation). I've got my copy and it's a pretty handsome volume (if I may say so). It includes a couple interviews, preliminary sketches, and a step-by-step feature of my page process, not to mention the first 6 issues of our relaunch. If you're not near a comic shop, it's also available via my Amazon store.

Next week, The Twelve #9 continues the story that started in 2008. I provided a hard-to-ignore cover for the issue. My apologies. Although I painted (and posted) this a while ago, I gave the file a minor facelift, improving the color and contrast with Photoshop. I've learned a few tricks in the last few years, resulting in a truer representation of the original artwork. It's tough to say how your individual computers will portray the difference, but I thought I'd show jpegs of the 2 versions.


The Twelve # 9 Cover. Acryla gouache on bristol board, 11 × 17″.

One trick I that helped was copying the background, pasting it on a layer above, blurring it, and lowering the opacity according to taste. This lessened the splotchiness of the paint strokes, which tend to be exaggerated by the scanner (and my own heavy-handed contrast adjustments). The other issue was CMYK conversion, a larger subject that I tackled in a previous post.


The original file I submitted in 2008.

Rounding out the news, I'm about a quarter of the way through Daredevil #10 and things are going great. And if all goes according to plan, I'll be making a trip to my alma mater, RISD, next week to give a lecture. Should be fun. Have a great weekend!

2 comments :

  1. Hi, Paolo

    I love that Blue Blade cover. I guess one of the advantages of a comic being delayed for three years or so is you get the chance to tinker almost indefinitely!

    Robert

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly. That's why deadlines are a good thing. My editor was at first skeptical, but could see the reason for the changes once they were complete.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.