Back to Blogging

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Daredevil #9, Pages 2-3. 2011. Pencil on Marvel board, 22 × 17.25″.

Howdy, folks! My apologies for the extended break, but deadlines demanded it. The good news is Daredevil 9 is finished (at least my part of it) and 10 is under way. Marvel already previewed a spread from the issue, so I thought I'd show a behind-the-scenes, penciled version. As you can see, blue line prints and pencils have become an integral part of my process.

I also wanted to send out a big and hearty thanks to the unbelievable number of comics sites that named us as one of the top comics of 2011. Seriously: I kept getting Google alerts for my name and I kept thinking it was for the same article. I really feel like I'm a part of something special here, and couldn't be happier with my collaborators.

Speaking of whom, I'd like to give special thanks to my Dad, who is inking his 100th page of Daredevil today. Here he is—complete with pro badge—signing his very first comic at the 2011 New York Comic Con. Congrats, Paw!



7 comments :

  1. I really appreciate the work of Mr. Rivera, sr., and that's why I'd like to ask why he isn't mentioned as the inker of the series inside any issue of "DD" he worked on?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's no reason why your DD team isn't the best (Marcos, too). It delivers in quality and content every month!

    What's your process with blue pencils, by the way? I always thought to use them as foundations if anything, but that method isn't very obvious in your behind-the-comics image.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A really great team doing really great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully drawn spread. Great compostion too. Your eye starts with Daredevil and then leads down to the group of little goblins hauling the coffins. Can't wait to see the final product on the page.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous, he's been getting full credit, but only on the issue that I pencil.

    Narciso, thanks so much! I'll do a full post on blue pencil at some point, but basically, it serves as the first draft before I tighten things up with regular pencil.

    Phillip and Jorell, thanks for the support!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So freaking cool that your dad is your inker! Must be a dream to see both of your names in the credits, u guys are a couple of studs.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.