Wacky Reference Wednesday, No. 158

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Spectacular Spider-Man #14, Page 2, Panel 4. 2004. Oil on masonite, 16 × 24″.

Here's an old panel from one of my very first projects. I had just moved to Brooklyn, and I went around the neighborhood looking for cops (thanks, officers!). If you're ever in trouble in Williamsburg, chances are you can find a cop at Sal's Pizzeria. The background is from the Lorimer stop on the L. I detailed another panel from this page back in WRW No. 26.



This was the first project for which I used detailed, digital color studies. Much of my work prior to this was pretty ham-handed. Part of being a professional comic book artist is finding the right balance between predictability and innovation. Your editor (and your audience) are depending on you to repeat yourself (in terms of a cohesive style), but without becoming trite. Planning my color schemes in Photoshop created a fertile testing ground for new ideas, leaving the painting process a little more measured and methodical.



2 comments :

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.