Wacky Reference Wednesday, No. 154

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Mythos: Captain America, Page 2, Panel 6. 2008.
Acrylic and gouache on bristol board, 11 × 17″.

I based the childhood home of Steve Rogers (aka Captain America) on the Lower East Side's Tenement Museum, a series of apartments that have been restored to depict the life of immigrants at various eras of our nation's history. I took the tour while working on Mythos in order to give these scenes a more authentic feel. While I wasn't allowed to take photos during the tour, I found enough supplementary images on-line, including a virtual tour on their web site.


None of these images are mine, but all contributed vital information to the final compositions.


My tour guide turned out to be a comic book fan, and had even considered creating a walking tour of the New York's rich comics history. He even pointed out a building where Jack Kirby used to live and work. I don't know if he ever got around to it. I think his name was Paul.


Mythos: Captain America, Page 17 detail. 2008.
Acrylic and gouache on bristol board, 11 × 17″.

Quite a bit of reference went into each of these panels, some of which I've documented on past Wednesdays, but the apartment was what brought everything together. It's much easier to envision a space after you've walked through it.


Mythos: Captain America, Page 3.  2008.
Acrylic and gouache on bristol board, 11 × 17″.

5 comments :

  1. Wow, really stunning work and it's neat to see your inanimate/architectural references too. Truly impressive stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work Paolo! It's nice to see that some artists still know the difference between "Reference" and "Trace Verbatim".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, J. Most of the reference that I look for is really just to learn about my subject. I've been working on a series of posts of how to glean information like that. Hopefully, I'll finish it someday.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.