Speed 2011

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Mythos: Ghost Rider. 2006. Acryla Gouache on masonite, 16 x 24".

The cover from 2007's Mythos: Ghost Rider will be featured as part of Speed 2011, an exhibition at the Ormond Memorial Art Museum & Gardens. Ormond Beach is not too far from my hometown of Daytona Beach and the local paper was kind enough to include me in their article about the show. My Dad's also got a piece in the show—his first foray into oils in many, many years—but I haven't seen it yet.

The cover is actually a revised version of the original, which wasn't "up to code," in my opinion. I'm still not completely happy with the final, but it's decent for something painted during one all-nighter. In the Mythos hardcover collection, they printed the original version, which can be seen in my post about switching to full-color Acryla Gouache.

In other news, I've definitely started to get preferential treatment at the hospital: one of the doctors said he didn't realize I was "The Paolo Rivera" (apparently, Rivera is a pretty common name in Brooklyn). Most people have heard of Spider-Man, but he knew what Mythos was. It could just be me, but I don't seem to sit in the waiting room for as long now.

And finally, for those of you who have been racking your brains in order to legitimately tie last week's Panthro post to MLK day, look no further than Billy Penn's explanation in the comments section. Thanks, Billy. You rock.

Have a great weekend!

5 comments :

  1. You haven't changed a bit, my friend. Good to still see you out on the interwebz. ;)

    (and to figure out who this is, you'll have to visit my blog...muw ha ha)

    ReplyDelete
  2. PAOLO I HAD TO GO ALL CAPS MAN, THIS GHOST RIDER IS HAWWWT! Seriously amazing work! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steph, I knew who it was without having to check the blog (but it didn't keep me from doing so anyway). Good to hear from you!

    Leia and Jrg, thanks so much! You'll be seeing an new Ghost Rider painting from me in not too long.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.