Thank You, Toronto!

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Stan "The Man" Lee and Paolo "The Happiest Boy on Earth" Rivera

Even if Fan Expo hadn't been a wonderful convention... even if Toronto hadn't been a fabulous city... even if all the people I met hadn't gone out of their way to make me feel welcomed... the whole trip would have been worth it for this one moment. Whenever I meet someone new and they find out I work for Marvel, the first question out of their mouth is, "Have you met Stan Lee?" I can finally answer in the affirmative.

Stan was full of energy, despite his jam-packed appearance schedule, and he even asked me to sign his copy of Amazing Spider-Man #638, which was reprinted as a con exclusive. He signed my copy as well and I spent the rest of the day showing everyone this photo.

I've got to thank Tim Dillon for letting me know when I should show up to be so lucky, C.B. Cebulski for introducing us, and Stephen Wacker for taking this (and several other) photos of the event. It was the highlight of the con/my life, and it was totally unexpected.

I also have to thank Tiz, Aman, Ty, Walter, Kevin, Olivia, and Matt for making my con run so smoothly (I know I'm forgetting some names here). I can't imagine organizing an event of that magnitude, but you guys handled it like true pros. I will most definitely be back!

15 comments :

  1. That is awesome Paolo. Great picture. I'm going to be lucky enough to meet Stan Lee at NYCC this year. I'll be going to the meet-and-greet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Paolo,

    Thanks again for coming to Toronto and for the wonderful Captain America commission that you did for me. It was a pleasure to meet you.

    I hope you come back again some time so that I can get that Mary Jane. ;)

    Cheers,
    Josh :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats so great!!!! ahh im happy for you Paolo! You deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tito, that sounds awesome! Tell him I said hi. I'm going to pretend like we're old pals now.

    Josh, thanks for the support... I'll be glad to draw MJ when the time comes.

    Thanks, Francis!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paolo, that is the most awesome thing ever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leia and Joe, I couldn't agree more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you enjoyed your weekend. Even got into the staff photo too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I couldn't help it, Ty, Tiz is a persuasive guy. Thanks for making the show such a success! Hope to make the trip again some day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This picture totally reminded me of the picture I have with you after I bought that page of ASM from you at NYCC. Pretty awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cornbread, happy to hear the pic came out well. Probably would've been better if Stan Lee was there, though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I dunno, the picture is pretty awesome. Check it out on my blog.

    http://ninjasinblogsout.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's pretty awesome, but I'd still rather be in a photo with Stan Lee than me. I'm always in photos with me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. that is an awesome punisher (right?) tshirt -- done in paolo rivera style?

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is correct, Vlad. Thanks! Though, to be honest, I just swiped the design from J.G. Posada.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.