Morbius: The Inaugural Vampire

Thursday, March 4, 2010


Spectacular Spider-Man #14, Page 12 (panel 3 detail).
2004. Oil on masonite, 16 x 24". Original Art.



What do Joe Quinones and I have in common (besides a RISD diploma, intense facial hair, and strong arms)? We both drew (and/or painted) Morbius, the Living Vampire in our first Spidey stories. I recently picked up his issue, Amazing Spider-Man #622, and I highly recommend it. For a sneak peek at the art, check out his blog. And for a 6-page preview, check out Comic Book Resources.

The artwork shown here is from my first issue, Spectacular Spider-Man #14, way back in 2004, when I was still painting in oils. I've got small jpegs of all the pages at my web site if you'd like to see more. Paul Jenkins had the idea to go for a creepier version of Morbius—more Nosferatu than 70s gothic—and I gladly obliged.



Spectacular Spider-Man #14, Page 6 (panels 3-4 detail).
2004. Oil on masonite, 16 x 24".



Last, but not least, here's a photo from our senior show in 2003. We all did parody art to advertise the event, Joe's being a Struzanesque Indiana Jones movie poster with all of us as characters from the film (you can see my poster here). This is us after the show reprising our respective roles.

Have a great weekend! Spring is almost here!


12 comments :

  1. Francis BoncalesThursday, March 04, 2010

    I love the art! I was actually just looking at the sequential pages the other day on your website and was in awe. great painting technique!

    And Ah! The good ol ISB! i wish my chops could look just as badass haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great illustrations! Congrats Paolo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your oil paintings! this so weird, I just finished a research report on Nosferatu (comparing him to dracula) I really like your nosferatu-esque vampire, very spooky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Evan! I've actually never seen the movie, but it's on my "list." Of course, I'll probably never get through all the amazing things I'm supposed to check out.

    Anywho, here's a link to my maquette for the character.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. your art is really extraordianaria! when I was a child was revised Spiderman showing this story! I am a big fan its Brazilian, and I would love if you visit to my blog! but already notice my blog is in Portuguese , but has many legal drawings on my blog!
    even more and I like my art!
    Notice, I'm not very good at English, but soon I will make a way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, those memories from when you rocked the Wolverine hair-do...

    I still have that poster from your senior show! It's a hoot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alejandro and Vini, thank you so much!

    Christina, I'm never more than 3 weeks away from a face full of hair.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.