1995 Called...

Sunday, March 14, 2010


Venom (after Tom Lyle). 1995. Expresso Pen
and Sharpie on copy paper, 8.5 x 11".



... they want their Venom copy back.

Last week, I finally got the opportunity to draw Venom for Marvel Comics, something I've been dying to do for a long time. I can't reveal it just yet, so I thought I'd share my earliest attempts at the character, including some I've posted previously.

I copied the above image from my Maximum Carnage trade paperback when I was in eighth grade. However, I only recently realized that I had since met the artist, Tom Lyle, at SCAD. It being one of my favorite renditions of the character, I actually copied it twice, the second time including a basketball in his hand (he was practically begging for it).



The Tick and Venom (after Ben Edlund and Mark Bagley, respectively).
1995. Expresso Pen and Sharpie on copy paper, 8.5 x 11".





Venom with Whip Cream (after Mark Bagley). 1995.
Expresso Pen and Sharpie on copy paper, 11 x 8.5".



I'm going to be blogging "lite" for the next couple weeks (in other words, just pretty pictures) so that I can gear up for the Wacky Reference Week at the end of the month—I've got some surprises in store, believe you me. But before I shift gears, tomorrow we'll be celebrating with one more blast from the past.

11 comments :

  1. visit my blog, I put a new posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always loved venom and carnage, they've been my favorite marvel characters for a long long time. I hear they're both in this new new issue you're making, and I can't wait to see them! After I drew carnage on my blog, it made me want to see him in your comic even more. will you be doing the cover for this one as well?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vini, thanks for stopping by (and the link to your blog).

    Evan, I'll be doing the covers for all 4 issues (painting the first one today, in fact), but neither villain will be gracing any of them. I can say this, though: Spider-Man will be on all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that last venom is by ron lim, not mark bagleya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right! Looks like Bagley only did the first part of that chapter. Thanks for the heads up!

      Delete
  5. Paolo-
    Thanks for the homage.
    I loved drawing VENOM with that tongue flapping around and oozing drool.
    Have fun with it all.
    He's a good character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom, so cool of you to drop by! Venom was always one of my favorite characters, and that drawing is probably my favorite drawing of him.

      Delete
    2. We'll have to hang around some next time you come to Savannah. I've never gotten to really talk to you and I like your work a lot.
      Nice work on DD, btw. One of my favorite characters.

      Delete
    3. Definitely. I always have a great time whenever I visit. I just saw John Lowe when he was up here giving studio tours and we both agreed it was time for another trip. I look forward to seeing you again!

      Delete

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.