Wacky Reference Wednesdays, No. 90

Tuesday, January 19, 2010


Mythos: Fantastic Four Cover. 2007. Acrylic on
masonite, 16 x 24". Original art.

This was one of 3 covers that I painted in Acryla Gouache on specially prepared masonite (Spidey and Ghost Rider rounded out the group). The panels, which I had custom-made at realgesso.com, were great for oils, but were not particularly well-suited for acrylic gouache. I could still achieve most of the effects that I wanted, it just took more time to mix and paint because the finish was not as absorbent as bristol board, my current surface of choice.




The reference for Reed Richards was a combination of of my own face and my still-in-progress Richards maquette, which would be finished over the course of the project. The cover is usually (but not always) the first artwork that Marvel requests, so I often have to paint it before I've gotten completely comfortable with my representation of the character. You can see the finished maquette here.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.