Wacky Reference Wednesdays, No. 80

Tuesday, November 10, 2009


Mythos: Captain America, page 20, panels 4-5
acrylic and gouache on bristol board

In honor of Veterans Day, I thought I would feature a panel from Mythos: Captain America in which Steve Rogers attends a reunion at his VFW post. In order to get an authentic feel for the scene, I visited a real post in Manhattan and brought my camera along. I wasn't sure what to expect, but it ended up being the absolute perfect setting. Many thanks are due to the sergeant who gave me a personal tour of the building.

The building itself was actually the same one used for this year's MoCCA Festival. The dark and intimate hall was only a thin wall away from an arena-sized floor (complete with a parked Humvee during my visit). It also happens to be the site of the famous Armory Show of 1913 (which I was unaware of at the time).

There were two main rooms that I used, the second of which will be featured in a future post. The first hall was filled with photographs from the history of the 69th Infantry Regiment, which makes it's home there (I should note, however, that we used the 26th Infantry Division as Cap's unit).







Of course, the setting would not be complete without figures, the reference for which can be seen below. Today's panel is a higher res file, so be sure to click on it for the full effect. The two objects in the glass case are a chaplain's kit and the eye patch from one of Cap's fellow veterans who has, presumably, passed on.





Please remember our veterans today and every day. And if you'd like to support them directly, Any Soldier is a great way to find out what soldiers need and how to get it to them. You'll probably find comics on quite a few wish lists.

2 comments :

  1. Hi Paolo,
    I just saw the video, it's funny how our stories are very similar.
    I am a full time freelance sculptor
    doing Marvel statues for a Japanese company, nothing beats doing what you love, and not having to commute!
    I see that you sculpt as well, if there's anything I can help you with, please let me know.
    Best,
    -Erick Sosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erick,

    Pleased to virtually meet you. I checked out your blog and was blown away! You've got incredible skill, sir. I especially loved the Thundercats sculpts... definitely want to see more of that. I'll be reading your blog from here on out—thanks for stopping by mine!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.