Big Apple Con 2009 Commissions

Thursday, November 12, 2009


After some coaxing, I agreed to accept commissions on the blank covers of The Marvels Project variants. The paper is not great to paint on, but it is acceptable for ink with watercolor washes, which is what's going on here. You might notice a certain co-creator of Captain America actually signed this one as well — I'm in pretty good company. I also wanted to mention that the Marvel characters frame is by the mega-talented Jimmy Cheung.

Next week, I'll have more head sketches from the Big Apple Con, and possibly my new Daredevil cover (if it gets solicited), plus an official announcement for my next convention.

I hope everyone has a fantastic weekend. As for me, I'm going on a scavenger hunt. Wish me luck.




7 comments :

  1. These look great! I think it's a good thing that those blank covers limit you; I actually kinda prefer these to your painted commissions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your WWII Cap...
    no words good enough for it.

    I want this kind of art on an ongoing series. now.

    and so be it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much, guys. These are definitely easier (and faster) to do, so I think they show a little more personality.

    Paolo, as much as I agree with your proclamation, I don't think it's going to happen any time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You said that these covers are hard to paint on. Which of the blank covers takes the paint better or that you find easier to work on? Great stuff as always.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, Tim, I recently learned that the first batch they did of these (for Fallen Son, I believe) was actually the printer's mistake, using a glossy cover stock instead of matte. That couldn't take anything but ink and marker.

    Everything after that, including this batch, has been decent. I can do watercolor washes fairly easily, but won't really attempt rendering of any kind. It's absorbent enough for a single pass, but not so much for several.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recognized that other Cap. Oh yeah, it's mine. I've received a lot of complements on this. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.