The Ms. Marvelous '60s

Sunday, July 12, 2009


This is part of Marvel's "decades" variant covers. My editor gave me the parameters: Ms. Marvel, '60s, and "album cover-esque." I was just happy that I finally got to paint some ladies (and from one of my favorite periods in illustration, no less).

The final painting is gouache and acrylic on 11" x 17" bristol board. I painted it with my usual approach, the stages of which can be seen below.





Sepia Gouache Underpainting
(I slightly toned the paper so I could get that painted-white-background look in the final.)





Pencil Drawing





Digital Color Study

4 comments :

  1. This thing is slammin', great job, definitely the best out of this series of variants Marvel is doing that I've seen so far.

    Did you use any references for this one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im speechless.
    Except for those words explaining it.
    And those.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Vintage style of your stuff. Makes me feel like your still living in the 60's. Which is freakin sweet haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, guys!

    Gregory: I didn't use much reference for this one besides a bunch of inspiration from Fritz Willis, Gil Elvgren, and Al Parker. I also may have looked at my elegant hands in the mirror.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.