Jam Piece

Thursday, July 30, 2009



After just 10 short years, R. Kikuo Johnson and I have finally collaborated on a project. Earlier this year, in a bout of creative genius/procrastination, he came up with wonderful sketch of Namor and Sue Storm that I immediately loved. In fact, I loved it so much, I asked if I could ink it for him.

Then color it.

Then keep it.

As you can see, things worked out pretty well for me, although now he says I must return the favor. Hopefully, it won't take another 10 years.



In the midst of inking the piece, I thought it might look good to use a colored line for some of the elements. I used Acryla Gouache, which is waterproof once dry, allowing me to use watercolor washes over the line art. And since it's opaque, I was able to go back over the hair, which I had already inked.



The original sketch was on copy paper, so he (kindly) transferred the drawing to sturdier 3-ply bristol board.

3 comments :

  1. the hair "inking" technique...like a blonde halo. i like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. I'm a big fan of both you guy's, so this is a real treat!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.