Breaking in...

Sunday, March 1, 2009


Marvel's submissions policy has recently been updated (read: ended). One of the most common questions I get at conventions is how to "break in" to comics. I begin by saying that I'm the wrong person to ask. My path to a career was relatively short and easy compared to most of the stories I've heard. My path, in fact, was neither, but it lacked the "character building" period of rejection that can make any journey disheartening.

In this interview with C.B. Cebulski, he describes what options are left and why the submissions process was discontinued. Newsarama also has an article on the subject. Cebulski mentions the path of independent comics, something I've always recommended. Editors look at pitches and portfolios all the time. Why not prove your abilities with a polished product?

5 comments :

  1. Thanks for the tip.

    Nice page, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recommend independent publishers all the time to folks trying to break into children's books, too. That's too bad Marvel is closed to new talent now, but their loss may well be another publisher's gain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that probably the only thing that has changed with Marvel is that the dream of getting work by sending in samples is toast. But since they say that they haven't hired anyone from those piles "in years" anyway, focusing your efforts elsewhere is probably a much better idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I actually prefer the honesty they're displaying. They're still actively searching for new talent, just revealing it's true source.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm still working on making my writing better as I want to break in one day as a writer. I also tell everyone that with independent it's a great way to start out, too.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.