Wacky Reference Wednesdays, No. 9

Wednesday, June 11, 2008


Nothing too "wacky" about today's reference — just a street scene from Mythos: Spider-Man that required some authentic details. The shot also required a lot of planning that will (hopefully) be taken for granted by the viewer. This is the first panel of a new scene, so I needed to establish a number of things. Our narrator, Peter Parker, is about to be bitten by a radioactive spider. He begins the scene inside the science fair, but ends up outside and up a wall.

At the very least, I needed to include a busy street with traffic, a side street, a fire escape, science fair banners, and a building facade. Luckily, I already had reference for most of this, and the rest was found through a Google image search.


This was taken from Midtown Comics in, well, midtown. I was just there to buy comics, but thought I could eventually use a shot like this. I try to bring my camera with me whenever I head into the city... and if I ever find myself up above street level, I almost always take a picture. You never know.


And this is the Hershey store in Times Square. I liked the windows and lower facade, but the interior was a scary, scary place.

1 comment :

  1. Thanks for sharing your process, its very insightful, I fell I learned more than a few good tricks :)

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.