Another Twelve

Monday, June 9, 2008


My life is slowly getting back to normal now so I shall resume posting 3 times a week. We'll start off with the latest cover for the pulpy series The Twelve. This is probably my favorite of the series thus far. I suppose it looks the most "authentic" to me. I feel like all superheroes used to look like this.

This was also the first time I've ever used the tube of violet paint in my Acryla Gouache set.


Here is the underlying drawing. This was done during my week-long charcoal conversion from a couple months back. While liberating in many ways, it was just a tad too loose for what I need, especially for interior sequential work.



And, as usual, I begin with a quick sketch of some sort. In this case, I skipped the layout sketch and went straight to the color study, so the entire process was done in Photoshop.

Thank you to everyone who came to see me at the Big Apple Con. You guys kept me busy all weekend (even when the crowd seemed pretty thin). Also, I'll be seeing The Incredible Hulk today, so I'll be back on Wednesday with all kinds of unfounded criticism.

2 comments :

  1. See, maybe it's just me, but I much more like the gesture on low steps, straight to the final render, it seems to be lot fresher, spontaneous.

    Good to know Cap's over. Can't wait for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful painting, the subtle details in the shadow really make this piece for me.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.