Wacky Reference Wednesday, No. 206

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Spectacular Spider-Man #14, Page 1, Panel 2. 2004. Oil on masonite, 16 × 24″.

I thought I'd start out the new year by looking back nearly a decade. This is from my first full issue for Marvel (and my first crack at Spider-man). As you can see in the background of the reference shots, I had just moved to New York and was still in the process of building my loft apartment (where I would stay with the same roommates for more than 8 years). If you think photographing oil paintings is hard, try keeping sawdust off your glazes.


Digital Color Study

Pencil Layout

8 comments :

  1. This is awesome, I love seeing the process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha I love their expressions. both the reference and the painting. I loved the painting the moment i saw it. the reference photos made me LOL.

    good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to know more about the woodworking and building of your loft!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be careful what you wish for — I've been waiting for an excuse to document my entire life.

      Delete
    2. Haha I'm serious though!
      And you can start your life documentation at your freshman year in college. That seems like a good place to start.

      Delete
    3. Could be interesting. Could be mind-numbing. Must remember to add sex and violence.

      Delete

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.