Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Wacky Reference Wednesday, No. 203

Daredevil #9, Page 4. 2012. 
Ink(ed by Joe Rivera) on Marvel board, 11 × 17.25″.

Daredevil Vol. 2 came out today and I just got my comp copies from Marvel. Here's a page from issue 9 where Matt makes a quick change from his alter ego. The panel this was used for was mostly in silhouette, so what I wanted wasn't detail, but gesture. I tried to give as much information as possible without showing very much. For me, the key was the glasses hanging from his mouth — I wanted to give the impression of haste.

The bottom panel was completed with the help of a Sketchup model, supplemented with various photos found on-line. The perspective grid is a Photoshop template I'm still developing for wide release, which includes a window pattern, among many others. It's finished, but I need to make an instructional comic first. That'll be one of my projects for the coming year.

Taken with Photo Booth on my iMac


Digital Composite
Digital Layout


  1. One of the reasons you are one of my favorite artists lately is because of the amount of work and effort you put into your art. You take a lot of steps to get things right and that takes dedication. That, and you have a great throwback style.

  2. I loved seeing the backpack. I own a page from issue #3 of the original DD series and it too features DD with a back pack. Panel four from that page looks similar to your great first panel. Here's a link! http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=339129&GSub=13177

    Any chance of getting you back on DD (besides the amazing covers)?

    1. I'm envious! I love Orlando's work and I was thinking of that very page as I drew my own version. As for returning to DD, there are no plans for the future, but I certainly won't rule it out. I'd love to come back.



Related Posts with Thumbnails