Wacky Reference Wednesday, No. 171

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Daredevil #15 Cover. 2012.
Ink(ed by Joe Rivera)  with digital color on Marvel board, 11 × 17.25″.

Marvel's July solicitations have hit the web, revealing my "barbed" cover for Daredevil #15. I already posted the related reference on Twitter, but without the accompanying art. My girlfriend couldn't help herself from photo-bombing me, though she isn't quite as brave as Maris Wicks. I will, of course, be seeing Maris and Joe Quinones this weekend when I attend the Boston Comic Con. I'm sure photo-bombing is on the menu. And karaoke. I can't sing, but that's never stopped me.



1. Digital Layout  2. Digital Composite  3. Pencils

1. Blue-line print  2. And my Dad's inks over it

7 comments :

  1. There are mountains in Latveria?

    Really like the razor wire radar thing going on here. Couldn't help thinking "ouch, damn, sonovabitch that hurst!" though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, I assume there are plenty of mountains... and plenty of barb wire.

      Delete
  2. I love how the razor wire forms concentric circles around his noggin.

    Breathtaking cover. Maybe my favourite so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've got some even crazier covers coming up. And a few I haven't started yet, but I think will go over well. We shall see...

      Delete
  3. So that's what that reference was for. Nice one!

    Between the mountains, barbed wire and the color scale, it's got a definite "killing fields" vibe to it. Though with doombots (presumably) rather than khmer rouge. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My main influence was from The Great Escape with Steve McQueen (even though I haven't seen it). Either way, we wanted to show just how hard it is to get out of Latveria. It's an oppressive state, after all.

      Delete

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.