Wacky Reference Wednesday, No. 169

Tuesday, April 3, 2012


I ended up sketching just 3 different characters for the show, but Doc Ock was the most fun, by far. While I love drawing Spidey and MJ, their designs are nearly sacrosanct, and thus permit only subtle changes to their appearance. The bad doctor, on the other hand (tentacle?), invites myriad interpretations. Marvel knew this, and gave me free reign to explore unconventional characterizations.


Marvel Studios Doc Ock harness, Joe Quesada sketches

They did, however, impose one constraint, pictured above. The harness had already been designed, and so I incorporated it directly in to my sketches by printing it out and drawing over it. After the first round, Joe Quesada provided me with his own take (shown above), a much creepier version. I haven't seen the final product yet... guess I'll just have to watch the show like everybody else.


Doc Ock. 2010. Pencil on bristol board, 11 × 17″. 

And before I let you go, I wanted to get the word out: I'll be a guest on Where Monsters Dwell tonight at 8PM EST. It's a live show, so I'll try to be on my best behavior. You can call in, or post questions via Facebook and Twitter. All topics are fine, but you know I love talking shop. See you on the radio.



No comments :

Post a Comment

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.