Wacky Reference Wednesdays, No. 131

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Amazing Spider-Man #639, Page 28. 2010.
Ink with digital color on Marvel board, 11 x 17.25".

Unable to give up on his Aunt May, Peter Parker rushes past the doctor to try to resuscitate her. Joe Quesada, the writer, had a particular pacing in mind for this scene, and so dictated the panel arrangement accordingly. He also requested the EKG sound effect, which I drew separately, and duplicated digitally (or at least my assistant, Orpheus, did). I knew I wanted the scene in heavy shadow, so I left the room's sole light source outside in the hallway.


These photos are taken via my mirror, with the tripod at my side.


Inks


Pencils


Layout, 4x 6" on bristol board.

4 comments :

  1. I'm noticing that you did your layout at a much smaller scale than the actual pencils and inks. What method did you use to transfer the comps to the larger surface?

    And why layout on bristol?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I scale everything up in the computer, digitally composing borders and perspective, then print it out and lightbox it to the final board. Lately, however, I've just been printing things out at size, and drawing on top.

    As for bristol, I've got it, and I like drawing on it. 'Nuff said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha. Understood (about bristol).

    I've been doing a lot of lightboxing to final surfaces, too, but it takes so long. If I had a better printer, I'd probably print it out, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I held out on buying a big printer for the longest time, but I haven't had any regrets since.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.