Hellboy

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Hellboy. 2010. Acrylic, gouache, and watercolor, on paper, 9 x 12".

Here's some more Hellboy, this one done just prior to the New York Comic Con. I've gotten just one commission done this week (Hawkeye), so I'm slipping a bit behind. However, I'm still chipping away on a handful of projects that nobody will ever see (at least not for a long, long time), including some work "on spec." I hope I get the gig, but the competition is stiff.

Have a great weekend!

5 comments :

  1. Awesome mix of media, do you go thick to thin? As in acrylic first, followed by the watercolor/ guache?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, guys.

    If I remember correctly, the only acrylic on the piece is white, which was used at the end to define the outline and strengthen the eye glow... I may have glazed the eyes with acrylic yellow as well. Most of the paint is watercolor and gouache, both used very thinly. I especially like my reds to be transparent, which keeps them powerful and saturated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Paolo! That's a great painting!

    I wonder, how much of a difference in cost was this compared to the full-body Hellboy you posted earlier in the month? Obviously the previous one took more time, so yeah.

    I have to use gouache more thinly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Narco. The head sketches are $80, while the full-figures start at $600 (though the price will rise when I open up the list again—they definitely take a long time).

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.