Wacky Reference Wednesdays, No. 121

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Amazing Spider-Man #641, Page 11, Panel 5. 2010.
Ink on marvel board with digital color, 11 x 17.25".

Like many subjects, I have a much easier time rendering drapery when I can see it in front of me. And while I do have a Dr. Doom cloak that has aided me in the past (thanks, maw), sometimes it's just not practical: aside from taking time to wear and photograph, I lack the means (and/or daring) to make it billow in a dramatic way.

My solution was as simple as it was cheap: a nasty ol' paper towel. By roughly cutting out a cape pattern from a single sheet, I was able to create a surprisingly versatile maquette. The material is stiff enough to hold it's shape fairly well, allowing the form to be "sculpted" to suit the task at hand. When I needed a more relaxed look, I just sprayed water on it until the saturation level yielded a naturalistic hang.

 


For the most part, I drew "from life," so I don't have many photos to compare with the art. The one exception was Tony Stark's sheet, providing him with a modicum of modesty. In this case, I just used the entire paper towel, soaking it fairly thoroughly in some places.

Why didn't I think of this before? Well, for one thing, Marvel doesn't have many "caped crusaders." Throughout 8 years at Marvel, only Magneto, Dr. Doom, and a handful of Avengers gave me the opportunity. But now I'll know what to do if I ever get my hands on Batman and Superman... speaking of which, I think they're coming up pretty soon on my commission list.


Amazing Spider-Man #641, Page 1 Detail. 2010.
Ink on marvel board with digital color, 11 x 17.25".

8 comments :

  1. I have to echo that "Brilliant idea.", was the first thing that came to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, guys! I hope I get to use the trick again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! I struggle a lot with drapery, this will surely be hepful. Thanks, Paolo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My pleasure, Jaime. Glad you found it useful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always appreciate your willingness to share your process, you do great work.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.