Monday, January 18, 2010

Daredevil #506

Daredevil #506 Cover. 2009. Acrylic and
gouache on bristol board, 11 x 17".

The cover for Daredevil #506 has finally been solicited, so I'm taking that as tacit permission to post it here. This piece was a joy to work on and I'm very thankful to my editor, Steve Wacker, for letting me go with the Japanese print theme. I took most of my inspiration from Hiroshige, whose work I have always admired, but never spent enough time perusing. Luckily, my roommate had a book of his work, so I had plenty of reference. I'm pressed for time at the moment, so the step-by-step will have to wait until Monday. Aside from my Spidey work, I've got one more Daredevil cover to do before the end of the month.


  1. So sweet! You're like a style chameleon.

  2. This is awesome! And thanks for mentioning Hiroshige's name, I'm checking his stuff now...

  3. I recognized the Hiroshige homage the moment I saw this piece, and as a long-time admirer of that Edo series, you elicited a huge fangirl squee out of me.

    Two great fandoms in one spot! I could not be happier, sir. Your signature and the logo at the top are genius. Icing on the 4-layer cake.

    I certainly hope Marvel authorizes this cover for a licensed t-shirt design.

  4. Yeah, the design elements are what really put it over the top for me as well.

    When I first saw it, my first question to you was going to be if you had any push back from editorial for such a specific design choice.

    That Steve Wacker, he's good people.

  5. Thanks, everyone! And yes, Michael, Wacker is certainly good people... he just got a well-deserved promotion.



Related Posts with Thumbnails