Wacky Reference Wednesdays, No. 84

Tuesday, December 8, 2009


Young Allies 70th Anniversary Special #1 (page 4, panel 1)
2009
ink on Marvel board/Photoshop
11 x 9"

Since I posted the pencils from this panel on Monday, I thought it might be nice to show my photo reference as well. As far as I can remember, this was the only pic I took for the entire composition. The rest of the figures were probably drawn from my imagination, my mirror, and/or Captain Catastrophe. Of course, I always have my trusty Colt 1911 on hand for the occasional firearm.

As you can see in the picture, I was posing in front of the mirror to get exactly what I wanted. With the camera right next to me, what I see is pretty much what I get.




inks


pencils

5 comments :

  1. I was just wondering if you have ever offset the color layers and added a halftone dots layer over your work when it pertains to a classic style like this does. I think it would make it look spot on for a 40's comic look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paola, i noticed in the pencils you had what looked like marks or numbers, where the perspective lines meet. was there a purpose behind that? or am i seeing things, and i should be ignored.

    peace out

    ReplyDelete
  3. FutureCap, I've tried it under limited circumstances, but never for a whole story. I've seen it done well, but I've also seen it become a gimmick. I considered it for the flashback sequences, but when I looked at the actual comics for inspiration, the pattern wasn't all that apparent. Maybe next time.

    Arnie, I alluded to those numbers in Monday's post, which has a link to James Gurney's blog post on the topic. I want to do a whole post on perspective, but it may be a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Comic artists boggle my mind. So many good figures, so much narrative, such great draughtsmanship.... and its just one panel on a page??!! The work you guys put in is crazy.

    Great post! Your work is fantastic. And I enjoy your ref shots too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Craig! Comics are, if nothing else, consistently challenging.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.