Wacky Reference Wednesdays, No. 57

Tuesday, May 19, 2009


I bought a few new toys to help me with the Young Allies issue, a motorcycle and a Thompson sub-machine gun among them. I always prefer a 3D model (real or computer generated) to photographs. It's especially nice when they're small enough to hold in one hand and draw with the other (the gun is 1:6 scale and the bike is 1:18). I use these in conjunction with on-line photo reference for smaller details or, in this case, to add a sidecar.


A tangible model also gives me something on which to anchor my point of view, as in the panel below, which I posted previously. Once I've got a motorcycle in front of me, it's easier to imagine the people interacting with it and the environment in which they exist.

2 comments :

  1. Those are some pretty sweet toys indeed!

    I'd actually like to know where you found that bike...I certainly know I could use at least a car or two at that scale...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got everything off of ebay, sometimes from international sellers. Fortunately, much of what I need is small, so shipping is pretty cheap. With the 1:6 scale accessories, there are dealers who specialize in it.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.