Wacky Reference Wednesdays, No. 8

Wednesday, April 30, 2008


Here's one from the vaults. This was my first work for Marvel, completed way back in 2002, just before my senior year at RISD.


In order to render the chrome of Iron Man's arms, I used a trophy statue (from my cross country days) under similar lighting conditions, even going so far as to use the actual painting as the backdrop. I don't do this too much anymore, but at the time I was very concerned with being "accurate."

So why Iron Man today? Because I'll be going to the Marvel screening of the new movie later this afternoon. Sweet! I haven't taken any kind of break from painting and drawing for quite some time, so I figured I might as well make this one excuse. I'm currently on page 16 of Mythos: Captain America.

2 comments :

  1. Haha! I never noticed the three pronged outlet in the empty suit compartment before. Nice touch. This has always been one of my favourite Iron Man images.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Rivera I must say you are loaded with a great deal of talent. It's refreshing to see the work you produce. By the way I love the way you come up with your lighting references.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.